You can contact us in any of the following ways:
- by emailing us at email@example.com;
- by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
1 Key definitions
1.1 The key terms that we use throughout this privacy notice are defined below, for ease:
1.1.1 Data Controller: under UK data protection law, this is the organisation or person responsible for deciding how personal information is collected and stored and how it is used.
1.1.2 Personal Information: We refer to your personal data as ‘personal information’. Personal information only includes information relating to natural persons who:
- can be identified or who are identifiable, directly from the information in question; or
- who can be indirectly identified from that information in combination with other information.
1.1.3 Special Category Data: Special Category Data includes information relating to health, racial and ethnic origin, political opinion, religious and similar beliefs, trade union membership, sex life and sexual orientation and includes genetic and biometric information.
2 Details of personal information that we collect and hold about you
2.1 Set out below are the general categories and details of retention periods in relation to those categories (see section 8 below for more details about retention) and in each case the types of personal information that we collect, use and hold about you:
|General Category||Types of Personal Data in that category||Retention Periods|
|Identity information||This is information relating to your identity such as your first name and last name. The legal basis for this processing is contractual where we are providing you with our services and may be a different legal basis where we use this information for other purposes as outlined in this table.||For as long as you remain subscribed to the Handbook|
|Contact information||This is information relating to your contact details such as email address, postal address and telephone number. The legal basis for this processing is contractual where we are providing you with our services and may be another legal basis where we use this information for other purposes as outlined in this table.||For as long as you remain subscribed to the Handbook|
|Account information||This is information relating to your contact details such as email address, postal address and telephone number. The legal basis for this processing is contractual where we are providing you with our services and may be another legal basis where we use this information for other purposes as outlined in this table.||For as long as you remain subscribed to the Handbook|
|Payment information||Your card details are held by Stripe. We hold details of any payments (including amounts and dates) that are made between us. We rely on the legal basis of contract for this processing. We rely on legal obligation for storing financial information.||Financial information is kept for 7 years.|
|Transaction information||This is information relating to transactions between us such as details of the digital content provided to you and any returns details. We rely on legitimate interests for this processing.||For as long as you remain subscribed to the Handbook and/or there is an outstanding financial or dispute between us. Financial information will be kept for 7 years.|
|Survey and feedback information||This is information that we have collected from you voluntarily or that you have provided to us in respect of surveys and feedback we invite you to take part in by email. The feedback and survey information will be used solely to inform our future communications and to improve our services and will not be for marketing purposes. We rely on legitimate interests for this processing.||For as long as you remain subscribed to the Handbook and thereafter in aggregate format only. All reporting will be anonymised and in aggregate format before being shared publicly.|
|Marketing information||This is information relating to your marketing and communications preferences. We will use consent as the legal basis for this kind of activity.||For as long as you remain subscribed to the Handbook and/or we have your valid consent (for a maximum of 2 years after you have unsubscribed to the Handbook)|
|Website, Device and Technical Information||This is information about your use of our website and technical data which we collect using cookies. The legal basis is consent and where you have given consent, this will include your IP address, the type of browser you are using and the version, the operating system you are using, details about the time zone and location settings on the device and other information we receive about your device.||This information may be retained for the duration of the Handbook website’s operational lifespan however personal identifiers such as IP address will be removed at the earliest opportunity and no more than 12 months after being collected.|
3 Details of special category information that we collect and hold about you
3.1 Special category information – we do not collect or hold any special category information about you.
3.2 We do not collect information from you relating to criminal convictions or offences.
4 Legal reasons for how and why we use personal information
4.1. We are only able to use your personal information for certain legal reasons set out in data protection law. There are legal reasons under data protection law other than those listed below; but, in most cases, we will use your personal information for the following legal reasons:
- Contract Reason: this is in order to perform our obligations to you under a contract we have entered into with you;
- Legitimate Interests Reason: this is where the use of your personal information is necessary for our or a third party’s (for example, Stripe) legitimate interests, so long as that legitimate interest does not override your fundamental rights, freedoms or interests;
- Legal Obligation Reason: this is where we have to use your personal information in order to perform a legal obligation by which we are bound; and
- Consent Reason: this is where you have given us your consent to use your personal information for a specific reason or specific reasons.
4.2 So that we are able to provide you with digital content, we will need your personal information. If you do not provide us with the required personal information, we may be prevented from supplying the digital content to you.
4.3 It is important that you keep your personal information up to date. If any of your personal information changes, please update your information in your Account area or contact us as soon as possible to let us know. If you do not do this, then we may be prevented from supplying the digital content to you.
4.4 Where we rely on consent for a specific purpose as the legal reason for processing your personal information, such as marketing, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. If you do wish to withdraw your consent, please sign into your Account and untick the relevant boxes.
4.6 We use anonymised and aggregate personal data to create reports for both internal and published use.
5 Details of how we collect personal information and special information
5.1 We usually collect Identity Information, Contact Information, Payment Information, Transaction Information, Survey Information, Marketing Information, directly from you when you fill out a form, survey or questionnaire, purchase goods, services and/or digital content from us, contact us by email, telephone, in writing or otherwise. This includes the personal information that you provide to us when you subscribe to our mailing list enter a competition or survey.
5.2 We may receive some of your personal information from third parties or publicly available sources. This includes:
- Contact Information and Payment Information from our selected third-party supplier, Stripe;
- Website, Device and Technical Information from third parties such as analytics providers (like Google)
6 Details about who Personal Information may be shared with
6.1 We use third party processors to process some of your personal information in order to fulfil our contract with you. These include:
- Suppliers: such as IT support services, payment providers, administration providers; and where necessary:
- Our advisors: such as lawyers, accountants, auditors, insurance
We will not share or give any personal information to any third party or use it other than for the performance of the contract, except:
- with your prior written agreement;
- as required by law; or
- where the information becomes public knowledge other than through disclosure by us.
6.3 We do not sell or trade any of the personal information that you have provided to us.
7 Details about transfers to countries outside of the EEA
If any transfer of personal information by us will mean that your personal information is transferred outside of the UK, then we will ensure that safeguards are in place to ensure that a similar degree of protection is given to your personal information as is given to it within the UK and that the transfer is made in compliance with data protection laws (including, where relevant, any exceptions to the general rules on transferring personal information outside of the UK that are available to us – these are known as ‘derogations’ under data protection laws). We may need to transfer personal information outside of the UK to the third parties listed above in section 6 who are located outside of the UK.
8 Details about how long we will hold your personal information
8.1 We will only hold your personal data for as long as is necessary. How long is necessary will depend upon the purposes for which we collected the personal information (see section 2 above) and whether we are under any legal obligation to keep the personal information (such as in relation to accounting or auditing records or for tax reasons). We may also need to keep personal information in case of any legal claims.
9 Your rights under data protection law
9.1 Under data protection laws, you have certain rights in relation to your personal information, as follows:
- Right to request access: (this is often called ‘subject access’). This is the right to obtain from us a copy of the personal information that we hold about you.
- Right to correction: this is the right to request that any incorrect personal data is corrected and that any incomplete personal information is completed.
- Right to erasure: (this is often called the ‘right to be forgotten’). This right only applies in certain circumstances. Where it does apply, you have the right to request us to erase all of your personal information.
- Right to restrict processing: this right only applies in certain circumstances. Where it does apply, you have the right to request us to restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Right to data portability: this right allows you to request us to transfer your personal information to someone else.
- Right to object: you have the right to object to us processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You also have the right to object to us processing personal information where our legal reason for doing so is the Legitimate Interests Reason (see section 4 above) and there is something about your particular situation that means that you want to object to us processing your personal information.
9.2 If you want to exercise any of the above rights in relation to your personal information, please either update your information in your Account area or contact us using the details set out at the beginning of this notice.
10. If you wish to complain about how we have handled your personal information, you should contact the Chartered Institute of Fundraising’s Data Protection Officer by email to email@example.com.
10.2 If you are unhappy about the way that we have handled or used your personal information, you have the right to complain to the UK supervisory authority for data protection, which is the Information Commissioner’s Office www.ico.org.uk (ICO). Please do contact us in the first instance if you wish to raise any queries or make a complaint in respect of our handling or use of your personal information, so that we have the opportunity to discuss this with you and to take steps to resolve the position. You can contact us using the details set out in 10.1 above.
10.3 For all other complaints please write to:
The Complaints Officer,
Chartered Institute of Fundraising,
Canopi, 7-14 Great Dover Street,
11 Third-party websites
Our website may contain links to third-party websites. If you click and follow those links, then these will take you to the third-party website. Those third-party websites may collect personal information from you and you will need to check their privacy notices to understand how your personal information is collected and used by them.